NOTICE OF PROJECT PLANNING PUBLIC MEETING
The Tawas Utilities Authority (TUA) will hold a public meeting on the proposed Wastewater System Improvements project for the purpose of receiving comments from interested persons.
The meeting will be held in person at 4:00 p.m. EST on Thursday, April 27, 2023, in the Council Chambers at East Tawas City Hall, 760 Newman Street, East Tawas, MI 48730
The purpose of the proposed project is to implement wastewater system improvements at the TUA treatment facility, located at 810 W. Franklin Street, East Tawas, MI 48730, to meet present day regulatory standards, to replace aging equipment, and to minimize long term operation costs.
Project construction will involve the following:
- Addition of Fine Screening Equipment
- Odor Control improvements
- Primary Clarifier Rehabilitation
- Oxidation Ditch Rehabilitation
- Secondary Clarifier Rehabilitation
- RAS and WAS pumping Improvements
- Chlorine System Improvements
- Effluent Metering
- Digester Rehabilitation
- Existing Sludge Storage Tank Mixing
- Electrical Improvements
- SCADA System Upgrade
- Structural, Safety, Other improvements
Impacts of the proposed project include short term construction related impacts and financial impacts to the municipalities wastewater system users. No significant long term adverse impacts are anticipated to cultural or environmentally sensitive resources.
The estimated cost to users for the proposed project will be approximately $18,950,000 with costs to individual users depending on the level and type of project financing that can be secured by the TUA for the project. The TUA intends to pursue project financing with the goal of minimizing the impact to system users.
Copies of the plan detailing the proposed project are available for inspection at the following location:
- An electronic PDF of the full project plan is available by clicking here.
- An electronic PDF of the amended project plan is available by clicking here.
- An electronic PDF of the updated amended project plan can be reviewed by clicking here.
Written comments received before the meeting record is closed on Thursday, April 27, 2023 will receive responses in the final project plan. Written comments should be sent to:
Tawas Utility Authority
C/O Julie Potts, Clerk/Treasurer
760 Newman Street
East Tawas, MI 48730